Each year the International Day of Peace is observed around the world on 21 September. The UN General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, through observing 24 hours of non-violence and cease-fire.
2022 Theme: End racism. Build peace.
This year’s theme invites everyone to:
- work towards a world free of racism and racial discrimination
- work to dismantle the structures that entrench racism in our society
- support movements for equality and human rights everywhere
- speak out against hate speech — both offline and online
- promote anti-racism through education and reparatory justice.
We all have a role to play in fostering peace –combating racism is one crucial way to contribute.
Let’s work together to buuild a world where compassion and empathy overcome hatred and suspicion.
Read about the United Nations’ Messengers of Peace.
For more information visit the International Day of Peace page on the United Nations website.