|Theme:||Being comfortable with difference|
|Age Group:||Year 2|
|Learning Area:||Personal Development, Health and Physical Education|
Students identify specific attributes of other students.
- Any text which explores the theme of difference may be used as an alternative to the suggested texts. Discussion questions may be adapted to relate more directly to selected texts.
- Teachers may wish to listen to the interview prior to lesson for iseas to incorporate.
- Wings by Christopher Myers or similar text such as Why am I different? by Norma Simon
- Christopher Myers (Wings) interview – The author talks about being comfortable with difference, the importance of reading and feeling comfortable in his neighbourhood. Start at 5min 52sec.
- Large sheets of paper and coloured pencils, textas or paints
- Read Wings or Why am I different?, or another similar text and lead a class discussion on:
- What is special about the people in the book?
- What do you think the author is trying to say?
- What do you think it feels like to be left out because you are different?
- Have you ever been left out because you were different?
- Ask students to create a poster individually, in small groups or as a whole class project which represents “Why it is good to be different”.