|Learning Area:||Personal Development, Health and Physical Education|
Student expresses feelings, needs and wants in appropriate ways.
The Sneetches is a story about two groups of fictitious creatures, star-belly and plain-belly sneetches. The two groups look the same with the exception of the star on the bellies of one of the groups, the star-belly sneetches. The story looks at the discrimination which exists between the two groups and its effects. Any similar text may be used as an alternative to this activity.
- View the video or read the text The Sneetches to the class.
- Lead a class discussion based on the discrimination which took place in the story for example:
- How were the plain-belly sneetches treated?
- How do you think they felt?
- Was it fair or unfair?
- Ask students to give examples of how discrimination affected the characters in the video or book, for example:
- How did the behaviour of the star-belly sneetches affect the plain belly sneetches?
- Record the examples on the board or on butcher’s paper.
- Ask students to brainstorm the moral of the story.