|Theme:||Developing identity and self-esteem|
Students describe an object of interest to the class e.g. toy, pet.
- Teacher may need to use a camera to photograph items that cannot be left at school or use a digital camera to make a slide show of all the items.
- This activity builds on the language and themes identified in activity K.4 ‘Me’ collage.
- Ask students to bring in a toy or book that is special to them e.g. a teddy bear, ball, book.
- Ask students to tell the class why it is special. e.g. “My special toy is … because… it has wings/ my Nan gave it to me/ she fits in my bag.”
- Ask students to sit in a circle and complete the following statement: “My special toy is _____ and Z’s (student on the right) special toy is his/her ______” e.g. “My special toy is my doll and Luca’s special toy is his puppy.”
- Ask students to write or trace their names on labels and tag their special thing.
- Using the handout, Special things about me! [DOC], ask students to draw their special toy in the box on the bottom left of the page.
- I like …
- I am good at …
- Something special to me is …
- Someone special to me is …
- Ask students to complete and colour the worksheet, Special things about me! Use the activity K.4: ‘Me’ collage to help students with completing other boxes.
- Display students’ work to be used as basis for discussion.